This holiday shopping season, the last thing you’ll want to do is buy a product that’s been recalled and which might pose a safety hazard for the person you’ve bought it for.
The Consumer Product Safety Act
Fortunately, figuring out what products are safe for purchase and what products aren’t isn’t that difficult these days. In 1972, the Consumer Product Safety Act was passed, which established the CPSC (Consumer Product Safety Commission). The CPSC is responsible for protecting the public from unreasonable injury risks posed by the use of consumer products. To do this, the CPSC does the following:
- They promote the review of consumer products for potential hazards.
- They establish safety standards for consumer products.
- They resolve any state and local regulations that conflict in regards to consumer safety.
- They help to recall consumer products that are hazardous from the marketplace.
- They perform selective research on consumer products that are potentially hazardous.
- They ban unsafe products from the marketplace.
The CPSC Recall List
Before going out and buying gifts for friends and family members, check the CPSC recall list to make sure the items you’re buying haven’t been recalled due to a potential safety hazard. Also, stay up-to-date with new recalls by signing up for alerts. If you receive a product with a mail-in postcard, send it back to the manufacturer with your contact information so you can be notified immediately if the product is recalled. Many products for infants and children include these cards.
While the CPSC has jurisdiction over many consumer products, they don’t have jurisdiction over all types of products. For example, motor vehicle safety standards are regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation, while drug and cosmetic standards are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. You can find a comprehensive list of recalled products here.
If you’ve been injured as a result of a faulty product, then be sure to contact us at Schiffman Law Office to find out how we can help you.